Xcode 4.3

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
jules
Xcode 4.3

Well, looks like Apple have been moving things around again, and if you upgrade to Xcode 4.3 you're going to find that you can't build AU plugins any more because they've removed the old /Developer folder that contained all the headers.

What you now need to do is:

- In Xcode, choose "Open Developer Tool" / "More Developer Tools..", and download the audio package.
- Go to the Xcode.app, view its contents, and find the Developer folder inside it.
- Create an Extras folder inside the Developer folder, and copy the CoreAudio folder that you downloaded into it
- When you compile, you'll hit some errors in Apple's code which you'll need to fix. Nothing big, just add some casts and disambiguation for the latest version of Clang to accept it. (I had to do this in TextEdit because Xcode crashed when I tried to edit these files. Nice.)

..HTH!

TheVinn
Re: Xcode 4.3

I hear that XCode 4.3 crashes more often than a blind man driving on the freeway.

jules

I had it in a state today where as soon as I ran Xcode, it crashed. Took me an hour to find a way to stop it happening. 4.3 is a dreadful update - avoid it if possible.

TheVinn

jules wrote:
4.3 is a dreadful update - avoid it if possible.

Yeah that's what everyone is saying, wait for a bugfix before upgrading.

xsd121

Always build error because of "Command /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/Rez failed with exit code 2", and there's no Rez under this dir.

How to solve this?

jules

xsd121 wrote:
Always build error because of "Command /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/Rez failed with exit code 2", and there's no Rez under this dir.

How to solve this?

No idea, sorry! My installation does have that tool, so if yours doesn't, maybe re-install?

xsd121

I've fixed that.
The problem seems to be under the config "Build Phases -> Build Carbon Resources", there should only be one file existing: juce_AU_Resources.r. But after I perform an update prompted by xcode, it changed to two items: it adds the AUResources.r in this section, then I got this error. Remove that AUResources.r will do.

This 4.3 update is really a catastrophe for au plugin(I need to use the new iOS today so I update from 4.2 to 4.3.1).

I need to relocate all Apple AU Files that were included by IntroJucer. But how could I relocate them with ease?
The only way I found is to store the CoreAudio dir in a dir other than inside the Xcode.app so I could add them by using the "Add Files to XXX(_projectname_)" function.

xsd121

Though I've got a successful build now (after 1 hour's arranging), my condition that "no Rez under usr/bin" hasn't changed..
I don't know if it is weird.
Anyway, a successful build is the most important..

kuniklo

jules wrote:
I had it in a state today where as soon as I ran Xcode, it crashed. Took me an hour to find a way to stop it happening. 4.3 is a dreadful update - avoid it if possible.

Just had to log in to strongly agree with this. I like a lot of Apple's products but Xcode sure as hell isn't one of them. I've moved entirely to Jetbrains' AppCode for my Objective-C work, and it's 100x better in just about every respect. Unfortunately it doesn't handle C++ very well so I'm stuck with Xcode for my C++ projects.

Apple's neglect of Xcode and of the entire CoreAudio/AudioUnit SDK really makes me wonder how seriously they take their developers.

TheVinn

kuniklo wrote:
I'm stuck with Xcode for my C++ projects.

There's always IntroJucer + Makefiles. No?

dave96

For what its worth 4.3.2 is a lot more stable. Make sure you use GDB instead of the LLDB debugger though because variables can be displayed incorrectly in that.

Pages