VFLib: A collection of JUCE modules! (MIT Licensed)

85 posts / 0 new
Last post
TheVinn
VFLib: A collection of JUCE modules! (MIT Licensed)

VFLib 1.1 available on Github under the MIT License!

This is a collection of new modules that build on Juce. It has been officially released. I'm working on the Documentation and cleaning up the interfaces. If anyone wants to pick it up and poke around in it, I would appreciate the feedback.

[attachment=0]VFLibProject.png[/attachment]

attachment: 
Edited by: user1 on 15 Aug 2013 - 01:45
chkn
Re: new Juce modules

great!

Bruce Wheaton

That looks very cool. Easy to integrate lock-free patterns - awesome. 8)

Bruce

PS - Did you have to commission a portrait to keep up with Jules? :wink:

TheVinn

Bruce Wheaton wrote:
That looks very cool. Easy to integrate lock-free patterns - awesome. 8)

Ahhh well ermm...looks can be deceiving :-) They come with tons of caveats. That's why there's a whole section of memory allocators, for avoiding the "ABA" problem (without resorting to 64 bit CAS).

TheVinn

Bruce Wheaton wrote:
PS - Did you have to commission a portrait to keep up with Jules? :wink:

LOL...I made Jules' portrait and sent it to him after I made mine.

jules

Cool stuff, Vinnie!

Once I've got the module-based library officially released, it'd be great to start adding 3rd-party modules like this to my master database, so that the introjucer's download tool will help people discover and install them automatically.

TheVinn

jules wrote:
Cool stuff, Vinnie!

Thanks although there are still some unresolved issues I need to address before it plays nice.

One item in particular, since I am doing a lot of stuff with objects having static storage duration (SharedSingleton for example) the juce::RunningThreadsList is very troublesome (I have threads that get destroyed after the juce::RunningThreadsList).

How would you feel about pull requests from https://github.com/vinniefalco/Juce ?

jules

I've never had a github pull request, so don't really know how they work, but am certainly happy to look at any suggestions you have!

TheVinn

jules wrote:
I've never had a github pull request, so don't really know how they work, but am certainly happy to look at any suggestions you have!

Since Juce is not hosted on Github (it'd be great if it was!), and I'm fairly new to Git so I'm not 100% about this, but you would make a new branch in your local Juce repo, pull one of my remote branches (I would put my changes in a separate branch) into your new branch, then you could review the changes. If you were on github you could do this through the web page and make comments on specific files and lines. Otherwise you could just email me or use the Juce forum.

We'd go back and forth until you liked what you saw at which point you merge your local branch with my changes into your master branch.

TheVinn

On github you can open an "Issue", for example:

https://github.com/vinniefalco/Juce/issues/1

This automatically starts a dialog where anyone can participate. Commits can be tied to issues with a simple comment in the commit line.

jules

OT: I've been considering moving juce to github.. Ideally it'd be best if I could somehow tell either github or sourceforge to mirror the other one, so that both remain up-to-date, but don't know too much about how they work or whether that's possible. Will investigate this at some point if I have more time.

Pages