New OpenGL classes

46 posts / 0 new
Last post
jules
New OpenGL classes

After much longer than I expected it to take, I've finally checked-in my changes to the way the openGL classes work!

The TL;DR is:

- OpenGLComponent no longer exists
- Instead, you create an OpenGLContext object yourself, and then attach it to ANY component using the attachTo() method.
- That'll take care of rendering the component paint() using a GL 2D context, so you can use it to GL-accelerate the rendering on any component without needing to change the component itself.
- If you want to use a renderOpenGL() callback, you just have to provide an object that inherits from OpenGLRenderer, and pass that to the context object to use. (Doing this means you'll end up with something pretty similar to the way it all used to work, as OpenGLRenderer has similar callbacks to the old OpenGLComponent class)
- Before you delete your OpenGLRenderer object or your component, you call OpenGLContext::detach() (or delete the context) to let it clean-up.
- If you want to specify pixel formats, etc, you tell the context object about that before calling attachTo()

This new arrangement also fits with the way the Android classes work, which means that GL's now also available on Android! (Well, on devices that support GLES 2.0)

Have a look at the juce demo for an example - in fact there are actually very few lines of code that needed to change to make that work.

Enjoy! Your feedback on whether it all works smoothly would be much appreciated, and let me know if I've forgotten to implement any vital bits of functionality that you need!

sonic59
Re: New OpenGL classes

Nice work Jules!

Everything ran smoothly for me.

Tested:
OpenGL Demo
Graphics Rendering Demo using OpenGL Renderer

Tested On:
Win 7 x64 - Geforce GT 440
Win 7 x64 - Geforce 9400m
OS X 10.7 x64 - Geforce 9400m
Win 7 x64 - Radeon HD5770

No Issues.

OBO

Awesome work Jules.

Still crash though on intel series-4 integrated (two year old) systems, where the driver doesnt support some ogl extensions.

justin

Great work!

(Mac OS 10.6 NVIDIA GeForce 9400)

jfitzpat

Very cool!

Quick test on a MacBook pro, first running OS X 10.7, then bootcamp'ed to Windows 7 32 bit both looked good.

I'll try Android and iOS on devices soon.

steffen

Amazing job! I couldn't spot any difference in the rendering demos when switching to the OpenGL rendering, and all rendering times seem to decrease significantly (as long as I don't enable clipping).

Win 7 64bit / Geforce 8400 GT

TheVinn

I'm a little confused. Will this benefit my application's main window if I use it? Or do I need to draw in 3D or something?

steffen

TheVinn wrote:
Will this benefit my application's main window if I use it?

If I understand the demo code correctly, all you have to do is attach an OpenGLContext to your top-level component, and all your child component will paint into a Graphics context that will use OpenGL instead of the software renderer. Especially rendering scaled images is *a lot faster* in the demo then.

Quote:
Or do I need to draw in 3D or something?

You don't have to, but if you want to use plain OpenGL code to render something special in 2d or 3d, you can now add standard child components on top (which wasn't possible before with the OpenGLComponent)
Steven

This is pretty cool. Haven't tried it on Android devices yet, but I am having some problems getting it to deploy on iOS 5.0.1 on an iPad 1. I get the following error if I run it through XCode:

JUCE Assertion failure in juce/extras/JuceDemo/Builds/iOS/../../../../modules/juce_opengl/opengl/juce_OpenGLGraphicsContext.cpp, line 2949

Xavi

I've compiled the demo in Win XP Pro and it crashes. There's a problem rendering the title bar.
Run the app, click "Use OpenGL renderer" and move the window around, it crashes in a couple of secs.

"Unhandled exception at 0x009dc7a7 in JuceDemo.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x987e9100."

Call stack:

JuceDemo.exe!juce::PixelARGB::set<:pixelargb>(const juce::PixelARGB & src) Line 159 + 0xb bytes C++
JuceDemo.exe!juce::SoftwareRendererClasses::SolidColourEdgeTableRenderer<:pixelargb>::replaceLine(juce::PixelARGB * dest, const juce::PixelARGB & colour, int width) Line 167 C++
JuceDemo.exe!juce::SoftwareRendererClasses::SolidColourEdgeTableRenderer<:pixelargb>::handleEdgeTableLineFull(const int x, const int width) Line 99 C++
JuceDemo.exe!juce::SoftwareRendererClasses::ClipRegion_RectangleList::SubRectangleIterator::iterate<:softwarerendererclasses::solidcolouredgetablerenderer> >(juce::SoftwareRendererClasses::SolidColourEdgeTableRenderer<:pixelargb> & r) Line 1577 C++
JuceDemo.exe!juce::SoftwareRendererClasses::ClipRegionBase::renderSolidFill<:softwarerendererclasses::clipregion_rectanglelist::subrectangleiterator>(juce::SoftwareRendererClasses::ClipRegion_RectangleList::SubRectangleIterator & iter, const juce::Image::BitmapData & destData, const juce::PixelARGB & fillColour, const bool replaceContents, juce::PixelARGB * __formal) Line 1163 C++
JuceDemo.exe!juce::SoftwareRendererClasses::ClipRegion_RectangleList::fillRectWithColour(juce::Image::BitmapData & destData, const juce::Rectangle & area, const juce::PixelARGB & colour, bool replaceContents) Line 1472 + 0x18 bytes C++
JuceDemo.exe!juce::LowLevelGraphicsSoftwareRenderer::SavedState::fillRect(const juce::Rectangle & r, const bool replaceContents) Line 1868 + 0x8f bytes C++
JuceDemo.exe!juce::LowLevelGraphicsSoftwareRenderer::fillRect(const juce::Rectangle & r, const bool replaceExistingContents) Line 2177 C++
JuceDemo.exe!juce::Graphics::fillAll(const juce::Colour & colourToUse) Line 369 C++
JuceDemo.exe!ContentComp::paint(juce::Graphics & g) Line 55 C++
JuceDemo.exe!juce::Component::paintComponentAndChildren(juce::Graphics & g) Line 1880 C++
JuceDemo.exe!juce::Component::paintEntireComponent(juce::Graphics & g, const bool ignoreAlphaLevel) Line 1968 C++
JuceDemo.exe!juce::ComponentPeer::handlePaint(juce::LowLevelGraphicsContext & contextToPaintTo) Line 135 C++
JuceDemo.exe!juce::HWNDComponentPeer::handlePaintMessage() Line 1487 C++
> JuceDemo.exe!juce::HWNDComponentPeer::peerWindowProc(HWND__ * h, unsigned int message, unsigned int wParam, long lParam) Line 2156 C++
JuceDemo.exe!juce::HWNDComponentPeer::windowProc(HWND__ * h, unsigned int message, unsigned int wParam, long lParam) Line 2102 + 0x18 bytes C++
user32.dll!7e398734()
[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for user32.dll]
user32.dll!7e398816()
user32.dll!7e3aa013()
user32.dll!7e3aa039()
opengl32.dll!5f14699b()
user32.dll!7e398734()
user32.dll!7e3abdf1()
user32.dll!7e3a8ea0()
user32.dll!7e3a8eec()
ntdll.dll!7c91e453()
user32.dll!7e3a99ff()
JuceDemo.exe!juce::HWNDComponentPeer::setPosition(int x, int y) Line 550 C++
JuceDemo.exe!juce::FlacNamespace::add_subframe_(juce::FlacNamespace::FLAC__StreamEncoder * encoder, unsigned int blocksize, unsigned int subframe_bps, const juce::FlacNamespace::FLAC__Subframe * subframe, juce::FlacNamespace::FLAC__BitWriter * frame) Line 3424 + 0x8 bytes C++

jules

Thanks folks!

Steven wrote:
JUCE Assertion failure in /Users/spease/Documents/Projects/juce/extras/JuceDemo/Builds/iOS/../../../../modules/juce_opengl/opengl/juce_OpenGLGraphicsContext.cpp, line 2949

Erm.. That file only contain 2200 lines, I think you may need to sort out your version!

OBO wrote:
Still crash though on intel series-4 integrated (two year old) systems, where the driver doesnt support some ogl extensions

Yes, I think I still need to sort out a few edge-cases.. Which extension in particular is failing?

Quote:
I've compiled the demo in Win XP Pro and it crashes. There's a problem rendering the title bar.

That stack trace is from the fallback renderer, because your machine doesn't support shaders.. Thanks, I'll do a bit more testing of that code-path, (I've obviously been concentrating on getting shader stuff working)

Pages