Exchanging the font & software render

73 posts / 0 new
Last post
zamrate
Exchanging the font & software render

Is it possible to exchange the software renderer for Graphics by one's own renderer? What I want to do is to rewrite a few functions and also change the font rendering to LCD-optimized rendering.

jules
Re: Exchanging the font & software render

You can write your own LowLevelSoftwareRenderer class, though it's not for the faint-hearted!

zamrate

Ok, let's say I have made my class MyLowLevelSoftwareRenderer. How do I tell JUCE to use it for all forthcoming rendering (without modifying the JUCE source code)?

jules

Well, you can't globally apply your class without modifying the platform-specific ComponentPeer code, because setting up a rendering context to use for a window repaint is obviously a very platform-dependent operation. You'd need to get your hands dirty in the component peer code for whatever platform you're using.

zamrate

I suppose that's WindowsBitmapImage::createLowLevelContext() you are talking about for Windows, and on Mac the renderer is created & destroyed again in NSViewComponentPeer::drawRect (NSRect r). Just a suggestion: it would be nice to have a define JUCE_CUSTOM_LOWLEVEL_GRAPHICS_SOFTWARE_RENDERER or similar that could be set so it's used instead of the hard-coded LowLevelGraphicsSoftwareRenderer. Modifiying the JUCE code is something I want to avoid, and that's why I originally posted my question.

jules

Yes, that's a good suggestion. But I think you'd probably be the first person to try doing this, which is why I've not put anything like that in place.

zamrate

Thanks. Maybe I'll post my work here later on.

sonic59

Zamrate, perhaps you should look into integrating fog-framework as a new renderer. It's MIT Licensed and vastly faster than Cairo and GDI+, as seen in the benchmarks. It has single, multi-threaded rendering and CPU specific optimizations (MMX/SSE2/SSSE3).

TheVinn

jules wrote:
Yes, that's a good suggestion. But I think you'd probably be the first person to try doing this, which is why I've not put anything like that in place.

Not really, I made a suggestion a while back in the platform-specific implementations to add a virtual method to ComponentPeer that returns a pointer to the graphics context to use. Currently its a stack variable. The default method could be to create the software renderer the way it does now, but overriding it would let the OP achieve his goal.

From juce_win32_Window.cpp:

void handlePaintMessage()
    {
        //....
                LowLevelGraphicsSoftwareRenderer context (offscreenImage, -x, -y, contextClip);

"context" could be a pointer returned by calling a virtual method on the Component Peer.

zamrate

anything goes, as long as I don't have to modify the JUCE sourcecode :)

robiwan

TheVinn wrote:
jules wrote:

Not really, I made a suggestion a while back in the platform-specific implementations to add a virtual method to ComponentPeer that returns a pointer to the graphics context to use. Currently its a stack variable. The default method could be to create the software renderer the way it does now, but overriding it would let the OP achieve his goal.

+1 . I still have that AGG wet dream some nights... :)

Welcome to oblivion, will you be staying?

Pages