Adding a framework changes 1000 lines

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
TheVinn
Adding a framework changes 1000 lines

All I did was add a few frameworks to an OS X export target in IntroJucer, and it ended up rewriting AppConfig.h, JuceHeader.h, the Makefile, the Visual Studio project file, and the .rc file. Why?

jules
Re: Adding a framework changes 1000 lines

Quote:
Why?

Why not? Why does it matter how many lines were changed?

TheVinn

jules wrote:
Why not? Why does it matter how many lines were changed?

Because files unrelated to the change appear as if they were modified in the commit log. For example, I just opened up the .jucer file to add a few linker flags to the Makefile export target. Then I press "save" and now resources.rc, the .vcxproj, and the .pbxproj appear modified to git status.

Why should files unrelated to the change get modified?

jules

Quote:
Why should files unrelated to the change get modified?

It doesn't just change files randomly. If something got changed in a file, then presumably the code is there for a reason.

TheVinn

jules wrote:
It doesn't just change files randomly. If something got changed in a file, then presumably the code is there for a reason.

I agree, my presumption is that there is a reason for the change. But I can't find it. Check out this commit:

https://github.com/vinniefalco/DSPFiltersDemo/commit/0d516f7dd06b9c0b21aad8586397b36889adeae3

All I did was modify the .jucer file to add some frameworks to the OS X targets. Of course the .pbxproj is different since we expect it to have the new frameworks added. But the .vcxproj changed as well, along with everything else produced by IntroJucer. Is this expected behavior?

jules

Just looks to me like your diff tool just did a crap job, making it *look* like everything's changed, when in fact not much really has.

TheVinn

jules wrote:
Just looks to me like your diff tool just did a crap job, making it *look* like everything's changed, when in fact not much really has.

Fair enough. So let's forget about the quantity of the change and instead focus on the quality. Why should the Visual Studio projects have changed at all?

jules

Quote:
Why should the Visual Studio projects have changed at all?

I don't know, but surely if you look at what the differences are, that'll answer your question? Maybe I updated the introjucer since the last time you generated those files.

TheVinn

jules wrote:
I don't know, but surely if you look at what the differences are, that'll answer your question? Maybe I updated the introjucer since the last time you generated those files.

I don't see any difference. Could it be line endings?

jules

Quote:
Could it be line endings?

Yeah, maybe.

jfitzpat

A lot depends on how you have .gitconfig setup. I generally don't get line endings and whitespace showing up as false commits.

-jjf

Pages