JUCE is released under the GNU Public Licence, which means it can be freely copied and distributed, and costs nothing to use in open-source applications.
If you'd like to avoid the restrictions of the GPL and use JUCE for a closed-source product, you can purchase a commercial licence. This can either cover a single product or can apply to all products that your company releases.
What does the commercial licence provide?
The commercial license basically lets you use JUCE in your product without having to release your own source code, as would be required if you use it under the GPL.
There's no restriction on the number of developer seats, and you get a perpetual license to use any versions of JUCE 3.
Buying a license doesn't include any support or extra warrantees about the software.
If that statement worries you, please have a browse in the forum, where you'll see that in practical terms, JUCE's support would beat hands-down most vastly overpriced support packages that other companies offer. If anyone reports a (genuine) bug, we always aim to drop everything and fix it - usually checking-in a fix the same day.
The commercial licence prices are:
- Commercial licence for a single product – GBP399
- Commercial licence for any number of products – GBP699
- Upgrade from single-product version to unlimited version – GBP349
- Upgrade from JUCE v2.0 (or later) license - GBP349 (full), GBP199 (single-product). Applicable for customers who currently own a commercial JUCE license purchased (or upgraded) during or after April 2012.
Note that for customers in Europe, VAT at 20% will be added onto the above prices (but this can be discounted for non-U.K. companies who provide a valid VAT registration number).
Academic discounts are available for universities - contact us for more info about this.
The contracts can be downloaded below. They're formatted as PDF forms to make it easy to fill-in your details.
- JUCE 3 unlimited license (new)
- JUCE 3 single-product license (new)
- JUCE 3 upgrade (unlimited license)
- JUCE 3 upgrade (single-product license)
NOTE about requesting changes to these licenses: We do not normally make alterations to these contracts for individual customers. If you really, really need some non-trivial modifications to approve the licence, we charge an additional GBP1000(+vat) to cover the extra time and work involved in negotiating a customised version.
(But of course, if you spot anything in these contracts that seems incorrect, or want to suggest an improvement, please let us know!)
How to purchase
If everything looks good and you want to go ahead with a purchase, then here's what to do:
- Download the appropriate contract, and fill-in your details in all the PDF form-fields. (If you wish to purchase it as a private individual rather than a company, that's fine: just enter your full name and address instead of any company details)
- Sign the contract. You can physically print/sign/scan it, but we tend to use Apple's Preview these days, which has a handy utility for adding signatures to PDFs.
- Either email it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org (this is preferred!), or you can snail-mail it to:
JUCE Licences, ROLI, 2 Glebe Road, London E8 4BD, United Kingdom.
- If you're based in the European Union (but outside the U.K.), be sure to put the correct VAT number on the contract.
- We'll sign and return the contract by your choice of email/mail, with an invoice. You can pay using a bank transfer (the invoice will contain all the necessary bank details for doing this), or by PayPal.
- That's it! When you release a cool product be sure to let us know so we can add it to the links page!